Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Monsa hand has just learned the joys of books. It is nothing abnormal to come home and see him sitting on an open paperback reading. Right now he is into kids books. He liked the Curious George books and thought the monkey was funny, as he did many of the same things to my regret. He also likes the stories of Beverly Cleary. Just one problem, he takes to heart what he reads.

I realized this because one day he banished my wife from the basement.
He was laying down reading a book when my wife came in and laid down next to him. She was into a series of fantasy books and liked to read with monsa hand. Helping him with some of the words and meanings was a true joy for her.

Well this day as she laid down next to him he looked at her, stepped off his book, closed it, and pushed it about a foot away and started to read it again. Now even from where I was sitting I could see it was just a kids book he was reading. I thought he might be embarrassed by what he was reading, but why be embarrassed by this one?
Well my wife and I exchanged glances and she scooted closer to him. He then looked at her and repeated his actions. I and my wife, exchanged a bewildered glance. I motioned her to try again. This time she scooted closer to him, and before he could start shifting away she reached over to scritch him. "Are you ok hon.."

'Arrggghhhh!!!." He screamed, He jumped up and started towards the family room door. At first my wife and I were totally shocked. This was not the normal reaction of a scritch, it was not the normal reaction of anything.
Then the whole problem was exposed, causing my wife and I to collapse in laughter.
"Cooties, cooties cotties, she gave me cooties" He yelled this all the way into the bathroom for a needed cootie shower.
Cooties. Yep we learned that night he had entered the "All girls have icky cooties" stage of kid development.
The one good thing is the fact he is growing fast is the stages come and go fast.
But not fast enough for me...
or my wife.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?