Friday, May 21, 2004

Now being small, breakable, and occasionally troublesome I have been worried about letting the little guy out of the house. At first I just let him out to explore the yard. I did not think he would get into much trouble even after the squirrel incident.
He had been nagging me to let him go out and look around and I will admit I finally relented to shut him up. It was getting cold so I put my jacket on and placed him in the breast pocket. With just his head sticking out I knew no one would pay him much attention. I was so so wrong.
I went to the bookstore to pick up some books I had ordered, and while in the kids section looked over some books for monsa hand. I would hold a selection up and asked him which one he wanted. He picked a nice book on horses and another on the mad scientist club. I was happy as this outing had so far gone off without a hitch. So far.
At the checkout counter I regretfully got a cashier who likes to put on perfume by the gallon.
I laid my books down and after asking me if that was all I needed it happened.
"You smell"
Time stopped. .....
She looked at me and with a glare asked "What did you say?"
"Nice smell. I said nice smell. The perfume. What is it?" I was desperate and almost gibbering.
"Oh! Its odor of Paris" She smiled and checked me out.
I walked out with a face red from anger and embarrassment.
"Why did you say that?"
"You said never to lie and it was burning my nose" He said it quietly as he could almost feel my anger.
He was right. She really reeked, and with his extra ability to smell I am sure it would have burned.
So he and I sat down when we got home and talked about what was proper decorum for public conversation, and why we need to keep his existence a secret.
He seems more disturbed at the public decorum. I had been teaching him to tell the truth and now I was telling him to hold some truths back. I guess we all go through this stage at some point in all of our lives.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?