Wednesday, July 07, 2004

I feel real bad. I hated to punish him that severely but he did almost start a fire.
I was down stairs when he had the urge for a hot chocolate and he tried to make one. For his small size he did pretty good. He dragged the Nestle's quick from the cabinet and squirted some into a small pan. He turned it on then got side-tracked.
I have no idea what he was thinking beside "chocolate, chocolate, chocolate" but he almost hurt us all.
About the time my brain registered something "hot" the smoke detector went off. I will say that with the monsa hand living with us I have set up extra smoke detectors throughout the house.

I ran upstairs and saw the billowing smoke rising from the stove top. With a quick flick the pan ended up in the sink. I knew instantly who did it by the mess on the cabinet and the small pad prints across the floor. After opening all the doors and windows I started to clean the mess up. Out of the corner of my eye I saw monsa hand walk into the room.
With a crinkled nose from the smell he looked at me and asked 'Is my cocoa ready big one?"
I just glared at him. He knew that glare. He sees it way too often for his own good.
He started to back up slowly and just as he tensed to make a run for the door I gave the order to freeze.

Well he sat there the entire time it took to clean the kitchen and then we went down stairs. He tried to look as small as possible, but it did not work on my heart strings at all that day.
I grounded him big time. For that I took his Curious George books for one week. Now that may not sound bad but to him it was horrible.
You see The little guy sees himself just like Curious George. He is adopted by us, just like George is adopted by the man in the yellow hat. He is not sure of his parents and is alone in a way. He also is in a big strange world. He gets in trouble just like George.
He has developed a kinship with the monkey and thus has forced me to buy over 12 different copies of the series. He sees himself in the stories and loves them.

I really wanted him to know how bad his actions were this time. So I punished him by grounding him from his friend. I took his books and locked them up.

Well the week is over and he has his books back but it was a rough week. With comments that "Marmaduke is stupid" and "Garfield is a dumb cat" he made it through the week with alternative readings.
So as I sit here typing this out I see that he is sitting on his favorite copy catching up with an old friend. Life is back to normal, for the near future.
I hope.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?