Monday, November 08, 2004

"Monsa! Monsaaaa! Where are you". This was getting tiresome. We were supposed to have left an hour ago to be at David's by 6 but Monsa hand had disappeared on us. I was checking the downstairs and my wife was checking the upstairs. I thought he might have been mad at us, he had hidden before when real mad about being grounded, but that wasn't the case this time.
"Monsa! I am going to keep looking until I find you so come out now or else" I said this in my drill instructor voice.

"No! Go away" The small voice came out from under the furnace in the corner. So I threw down a tarp and laid down and looked under it. Huddled way far in the back was a dark form in the shadows.
"Scared?"
"No! I don't get scared. I just don't want to go out tonight" His small voice said much more then his words ever did. He was scared. Scared of failing and not winning the heart of his green eyed girl with the bow. He was going to meet her for the first time formally and he was not sure what to do.

"Listen guy. We talked about this remember. Act nice and be yourself. She really likes you, and I did see that kiss, I just didn't say anything" I found the whole things strange. Here I was on my belly talking a small scared monsa into going on his first date. Could it get any weirder?

I suddenly had a flash of inspiration.
"Yeah! Lets just stay at home. She's not the girl for you anyway."
"What?"
"Well for one she is rather ugly"
"No. She's pretty. I like her"
"Well if you are going to stay under there I will just have to call David and tell him to find another guy for her."
"What?"
"Yeah. He should have one by tomorrow." I started to get up "So I'll just call him and cancel for tonight. Does pizza sound good?"

Well that did it. Threaten to take his dream girl away and he will fight for her. He shot out from under the furnace faster then I had ever seen him move and hit the stairs running.
"No. No. No. No. She's mine."
By the time I got upstairs he was sitting by the front door holding his chocolate sampler box tied with the ribbon.
"I'm ready. Let's go"
So out to the car we went and our little guy started his first true date.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?