Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Well today was a good day, well at least it ended good. Monsa hand broke a basic rule today and it could have turned out very bad but didn't.

It started, from what they told me, when Monsa hand wanted to show Theo the Koi in the pond next door. He has always looked at them as sort of his. Now I had always told him to make sure he stayed out of sight of others because some people would react badly to monsters. He understood it and was real good, but this time he slipped.

"that's the smallest one there and that's the biggest one there. It is almost all orange" Monsa was telling Theo about the Koi because he could identify each one individually. Although they were in the neighbors backyard I allowed him to visit if he was careful.
"Did you name them? Because you have to name your pets." Theo, because she considered the dog that lived next to her as her pet was the authority on pet management.
Yes. The big one is named George because I like Curious George and I like the big fish the best. He's big"

Well this is when it happened. From behind, and above them a voice spoke out. "since the big one is a girl she may not like a boy name like George."
Theo said they twirled and was about to run when the person spoke the words that would control every monster on the planets.

"Want some chocolate?" There stood Mrs. Kane holding out in her hand two small chocolate bars. She sat them down and backed up and sat down on the edge of her porch.
"I thought there was only one walker living nearby, but it looks like you have found a friend. I'm Mrs Kane, and you are?"

By now they were chomping on the candy bars and through full mouths muttered their names.
"Monster hand and Theo. That is a nice pair of names. My uncle, when I was so so young, had a pair living with him and Aunt Polly. They were named Red and Rose. I loved going over their to visit. I was the only niece that knew they lived there. I accidentally dropped a chocolate bar one day and before I could pick it up the two had run out from under the couch, grabbed it, and were chanting 'finders keepers' and refused to give it back. That was my first experience with them."

By now the two were sitting there just looking at her. Candy bars do not last long with those two eating machines.
"are you going to be mean to us, we were warned never to let others see us. I think Biggy is going to get mad."
"Well since you returned the Koi you took that day.."
"Gunner made me. I wanted a pet but he yelled at me and made me take it back. I even had a bowl of water for it to live in"

"..well yes, but they do need a large pond, and friends. Listen. Do you want to be the Koi's friends?"
Theo and Monster Hand had to think for only a second
"Yes! Yes! We will be there friends!"

"Good. Come by every day and I will have some food set out here on the back porch in a small bowl and you can feed them. Also if any look sick come in and tell me right away. OK?"
"OK!" With that they ran back here to our homestead to inform me of their new friend and their very big responsibility.

So know I can be a lot less afraid when they go next door to look at the fish. I will always be scared that one day someone may take them from us, but for now all I can do is protect them as much as I can

By they way. George the fish is now Georgina the fish

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?